JUST GET OUT (OF YOUR HOUSE)
Becoming a mom brings so much joy into my life, but with all life changes there are challenges that arise. One of the big challenges other moms told me about was getting out of their house. It is so easy to end up being isolated, lonely and straight up bored. Even though we're constantly busy with feeding, diaper changes, pumping, washing bottles, interacting with our little babes, it is so easy to just get bored. In most cases we go from working outside of the home 40 hours a week, interacting with adults, seeing the sun shine and having freedom that it is quite the shock to be home all the time. And I know, when you go on maternity leave it also means that you loose a large chunk of your income so it may be difficult to be out of the house without spending too much $$$.
There are a few things that I try to do to make it easier for me to get out of the house, hang out with other adults and just feel like a regular adult human!
1. I pack up the diaper bag at night, I put two clean bottles, receiving blankets ect. into the bag before I go to bed.
2. I buy easy to pack groceries, for example, pepperoni, baby bell cheese, cliff bars, and fruit. That way to help with budgeting, when I want to go out I can grab a few snacks so that I am not spending money on food when I am out and about.
3. Although I do pack snacks, we also put a bit of spending money aside in our monthly budget for me to be able to grab a coffee daily and have a lunch date with a friend once a week. Sanity is important for us, If a coffee a day does not fit into your budget, maybe see if three times a week is doable! Also, I have downgraded to a drip coffee instead of lattes to save some moolah.
4. I also learned very quickly to call up my friends and see when their days off are and see when they are available to hang out. I noticed a lot of the time people try and give you space to get used to having a babe around, but don't be afraid to call up a friend and just say "Hey, I need to get out of my house. Want to go for a walk?
5. Join a mom group. It may take a few groups to try and find what you are looking for, but mom groups are just so amazing! Since my bestie and I were due around the same time and we both knew a few other people who had babies around the same time as us, we started our own group. And it is just so nice to chat, laugh and cry if need be with other moms going through the same season in life.
In all honesty though, put your babe in the stroller, grab your diaper bag and just get outside. You'll find that you are so much happier and less stressed, and your babe will probably sleep so well. I sometimes just grab a book, head to the nearest Starbucks and people watch haha.
What do you do to get out of the house or keep yourself sane as a mom?